Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are you and what do you do?

I'm Joe, 54 years old, married to Julie (30 years this summer). I have three wonderful children and will be adding a daughter-in-law this fall, which we are very excited about!! I am the founder and president of an investment advisory firm which will be 7 years old this fall. I am blessed to have what I consider to be the best client base anywhere!

Started smoking this past December on a tip from a friend who also just started and it has been FANTASTIC. Trying a number of recipes and techniques and it's probably safe to say that chicken and ribs have become a no-brainer. Have become a bit of a foodie over the past few years so the smoker has fit into my eating habits perfectly. Happy to report that I am also a quiet bourbon and beer snob as well.

Cheers!

OOOOO....bourbon and beer on your smoking meats. Great seasoning......LOL......Steve

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Hi, My name is Jim and I'm a Smoker-a-holic......
    I spent many years as a Workers' Comp claims adjuster and now supervise a group of people doing the same work. Been married for 26 years, no kids, but a bunch of nieces and nephews. In addition to Smoking anything I can get into my 1400, I fish walleyes in MN and Ontario. I'm also a woodcarver, and sell my work at a number of local and regional art fairs in MN and WI. Smoked as a kid with my Dad in a series of old steel refridgerators with hot plates as the heat source, and got hooked on smoked fish as a kid. It's kind of cool to do things like we never did as a kid, like pulled pork and ribs and cheese, and show off a little to my folks and family. My Dad and I did a lot of northern pike, and hams and turkeys. My parents are still both with us, and I take my Dad to Canada in July to walleye fish. Also kind of cool to me to be able to put him on fish and watch him get excited about catching them...

Gotta credit SmokinTN-pete from this forum who also posts under a similar name on my favorite walleye forum as well with getting me looking at SmokinTex.

Unlike jfsjazz, While I like my bourbon and craft beer as well, I'm no snob about it. If you don't like what I got, the lite beer crowd meets over yonder....
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 05-03-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: adds

Bigwalleye....this was the response I was looking for...and I hope we can all be forum friends and banter at times with the intentions to help new members understand how to cook a good and better offering to their expections in ther SMOKINTEX.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Bigwalleye...as far as the bourbon and beer...I'm with you!!!!! I drink Canadian Mist and coke zero!!!!! Not a beer drinker unless nothing is left!!

BillyBob
    Last edited by BillyBob; 05-03-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

bigwalleye,

You mention in this post that you are also smoking cheese. Do you have a favorite technique that you would care to share? I'm still experimenting and the results have been very good, but will always appreciate additional advice. Thank you.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

jfsjazz, check your email. PM sent

Billybob, try "Sweet Lucy" with diet 7up or straight over ice. It's a bourbon liqueur from Tennessee, and truly one of the smoothest bourbons I've ever had. Nice for sippin' by the fire in the evening.

After a particularly tough day on Wednesday, told one of the other supervisors on the way out the door together " I've got a riding lawnmower and a bottle of bourbon at home. I'm going home and I'm gonna get on one of them pretty hard."

Bigwalleye,
    Show us your woodcarver skills. We would love to see some pix here on our forum.
    Also, this goes to all our SmokinTex Forum members, make some videos of your smokin skills.
    We will post your videos on our Facebook Page and to our Customer Video page.
    Pass along your SmokinTex experience and share your smokin knowledge even further!
    Thanks to all our forum members who make this a great and valuable place to visit for smokin.

My name is Darren, and it's been 3 hours since my last pork butt.

All together: "Hi, Darren!"

I work in the telecom world, taking television signals and delivering them over the POTS network. I've been married 18 years, 3 kids. Live in the same town I grew up in. Married my high school sweetheart.

I've been smoking about 15 years. This is my third electrical smoker. First was a CS, then a 1400, and currently a 1500. I absolutely love everything SmokinTex stands for as a company. I believe they treat customers they way they should be treated: mutual respect and trust, a real partnership between customer and company.

I love smoking pork butts and ribs, and I am about to venture into bacon. I also love this forum, and the way we support one another with input and ideas.

Thanks for all the recipes, keep the great ideas coming! I too would like to try smoking some cheese, please share if you have recipes.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

My name is Loren I'm a firefighter/Paramedic for 17 years now. I just celebrated my 15 years wedding anniversary, 3 kiddos. I recieved a ST1400 as a gift from my mom and father-inlaw. He has had one for a few years and always smokes up something delicious when we visit. I lust after his everytime we visit so he took pity on me and got me my own. I have used wood fired converted propane pits for years with good results but it can be time consuming and you have to monitor it to keep temp in control.

I just seasoned my 1400 last night and Im looking forward to cooking on it hopefully tomorrow. I'm going to wet my feet with a few chickens before I spend money on the good stuff. I havent had much luck with ribs in the past. I tend to over cook them so the ST will keep me from burning them to a crisp.