Thread: Need Help with Smoking Lobster

Wink Need Help with Smoking Lobster

Good afternoon guys and gals. I am very excited to be part of the Smokin Tex Club as of last Friday afternoon! Does anyone have a good recipe for smoking Lobster?

I've never smoked lobster, but I would be interested as well if anyone has smoked them before.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

Never done it. But if I did, I would make sure to place a water pan inside to keep it from drying out.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I never have either, but an internet search turned up the following, which should be a good guide....

http://www.ehow.com/how_2163413_smok...ter-tails.html

I have done small tails on the grill, indirect heat, low and slow, for about an hour. The trick for the grill is to watch them. The shell gets really orange, and wheen the shell pulls away from the meat you're getting close.

I don't think I'd even add wood if the smoker is seasoned.

Thanks, Walleye, for posting the recipe.

Seems simple enough, will definitely give this a try! And I wouldn't add wood either, a well-seasoned SmokinTex imparts enough smoke on it's own, especially for lobster (I would think).
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks Bigwalleye and DReeves. That's very helpful. We are having friends over this Friday and they are from Alaska so I want to try to give them a little taste of home with a Texas Twist. I am setting up Ribeyes and Lobster Tails. My plan for both is 1/4 cup of wood chips (DReeves 1400 is less than a week old I think it needs a little help) 10-15 mins on 125 on the 1400 and finish off on the grill. Any thoughts/input would be most appreciated.

Steelydan, sounds like a solid plan, what time is dinner?

You might be able to check the tails at 15 minutes, maybe go a little longer? Take good notes. Regardless, I really think you have a great plan, and I'm sure they will be great.

Please let us know how everything comes out!

You bet DReeves I will take pics and post. Hey DReeves is there a way in the settings in this forum to get auto texts or emails when you post or someone else posts to your thread>?

Sure. Please feel free to call me Darren. I gotta figure out how to change my ID

To adjust notifications: At the top of the page, Go to Settings/General Settings. Here, you can play around and set up your account the way you want it and how you wish to be notified.

Just like the SmokinTex, you can "set it, and forget it!"
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

IMHO I would stay away from smoking lobster tails.

The meat is very delicate and can dry out and become tough easily.

Low fat proteins like that do better with short and direct heat as opposed to smoking which is indirect and slow. Smoking fish doesn't work well if you don't cure the fish first, lobster is the same.

Plus I don't think a lot of smoke would be a good flavor with lobster.

I have grilled lobster over all kinds of woods, and honestly haven't tasted a difference, and prefer it broiled or steamed, though grilling lobster is great if that is the taste you are looking for.

When I grill them, I split them in half and coat them with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill till there is just a little translucence left in the meat and the shells are nice and bright red.