Thread: Smoking a fresh 18lb ham

Default Smoking a fresh 18lb ham

I've bought a fresh 18lb ham that I am ambitiously curing and smoking for this Christmas. I'm having a really hard time finding any smoking times anywhere. Is there a pound per hour ratio? I really need to find out how long this hog needs to be in my smoker for! Also do you think scoring it and a dry rub before smoking is a nice touch?

Hello Heather,

Your ham curing project sounds ambitious and I envision the results will be yummy.

Now, I have absolutely zero experience in trying to do what you are in the middle of. Being curious about almost everything I do read stuff. I ran across an interesting web site - a massive site - about preserving meats by a person of Polish ancestry. It is a huge reference work that I think you will find interesting and informative. Check this link out about hams and it will lead you to the full site: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/hams-other-meats/hams

As a suggestion, I would think the smoking phase would not take more than a few hours in your ST. My experience is that the ST is a most efficient 'smokehouse'. If you are planning to both smoke and cook then choose the desired safe to eat temperature and monitor that with an internal meat probe and thermometer with your ST.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Merry Christmas and Happy Smokin
    applejack
    Last edited by applejack; 12-14-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Default Smoking fresh ham

I will look into that site, thanks! I always look around and try to find more about smoking, but this ham has been difficult. I think because it's a long process being fresh and all. But it's so worth it! I paid $1.79lb from my butcher. I looked online and saw smoked hams for $100.00- $150.00! It's in the cure now and I just want to make sure I time it out right to cook, smoke and eat by 12:00 Christmas Day. I'll post pics and process.

Default Ham tips and recipes

Heather,
    Search our SmokinTex Forums for more tips and recipes for ham.
    Here is a start from Luke Clayton, Hunting and Outdoors writer.
    http://smokintex.com/forums/showthre...uring#post1009

Heather...I have not tried to do a fresh ham myself...but some of my friends on another forum have done them.

Here are some suggestions:

1) Fresh hams have to be cured
    2) Trim the fat cap and score it all over
    3) Inject the ham with a injection of your choice
    4) Rub with a good rub of your choice
    5) Smoke at 225-250 until internal temp of about 140
    6) Pull and double wrap with HD foil for 1-1 1/2hrs...internal temp should reach about 150
    7) If you choose to glaze...glaze a couple of time the last hour before you pull to wrap

Always cook by internal temperture and NOT by time!!!!
    Generally it will take about 30min per pound.....again...cook by internal temps

Hope this helps!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Default Heather

So here is my tentative plan:
    Pull the piggy from the brine on Saturday afternoon. Trim and Rinse well. Put in the smoker at 225 degrees for 18 hours ( its a 18lb ham). I'm thinking an hour a pound. So, that means I'll put it in at around 5:30 pm so I have a little time when it's done to pull it out and put it on the table. Hopefully it will be on my table at 12:00pm Sunday.
    I may score it and rub it with some yummy rub.
    Thoughts? Comments?
    Do you think that temp and time is right?

Heather....I think that's a plan, howerer, cook at temp and not time....it is recommended at about 30min per lb.
    Did you read the above post?

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"