Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pork Butt internal temp?

Default Pork Butt internal temp?

The smokintex manual says 160-170 internal temp on pork. It seems like everything i read on the forum is 190-200. Which is correct?

scrapit71,

160-170 degrees is a good temperature for cooked pork, this is the temperature that I use. USDA guidelines require that pork be cooked at a minimum tempertaure of 160 degrees. I would think that 190-200 would make the pork dry and tuff.
    L J

scrapit71...it dependes on what you are planing to do with the butt...160-170 would be for slicing and 190-200 would be for pulling...that is the way I do it.

BillyBob

thanks for the info looking to slice it. my thoughts on 190-200 being dry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster View Post
    scrapit71,

160-170 degrees is a good temperature for cooked pork, this is the temperature that I use. USDA guidelines require that pork be cooked at a minimum tempertaure of 160 degrees. I would think that 190-200 would make the pork dry and tuff.
    Just the opposite, at 195 the fat has turned to liquid & connective tissue has melted, the meat will just fall apart, it is hard to get out of the smoker without help. It's so tender that it's impossible to slice thus the name "pulled pork".

Billy B is right on here. 160-170, you are gonna have a LOT of fat & stuff left in it. I wouldnt do it. You can not hardly screw up a pork butt.....unless you dont cook it long enough. On my 1400, two 10 lb bone in butts take 18 hrs at 225 to hit 195 - 200, and trust me, it takes some practice to get em out with out them falling apart on you.

billy b and basscat...ya'll are right on point...however...he said he was going to slice...at our 190-200 temp...as you know...it falls apart. I cook a butt for pulling...if I want to slice...I will have the bucher slice it for me and grill the bbq steaks. JMO.

BillyBob

I wouldn't waste my time on sliced pork butt. Butts were made fer pullin', just my opinion tho. If you want sliced pork go for a leaner, less fatty cut like loin or tenderloin. Just sayin'!!
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

Wheelz...I agree with you...however we must answer the questions as asked. I don't do anything with a butt but pull...if they want to slice... so be it. I love pork steaks with sauce on the grill...and we also know it is a butt that has been sliced.
    We have alot more experience and we must consider this.

Keep giving good asvice bro!!!!

Jim

Folks...I don't think it is a matter of pulled, sliced or experience, it is a matter of personal taste. I like pulled pork as well, however sometimes I like pork steaks. I participate in this blog because I like the recipes, cooking styles, ideas and the people I talk to.
    I agree with BillyBob keep giving good advise!
    L J