Thread: Smoked Whole catfish.

Default Smoked Whole catfish.

Clean and wash catfish good.

Mix up your favorite Brine ( Search for brine there's plenty of them)
    In a pot I pour 1/2 gallon water
    1/4 cup of salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar make sure it dissolves
    6 whole catfish around the same weight I like them to be around 3/4 lb or 1 lb
    Take your favorite cooking spray and spray the fish with it. And then sprinkle black pepper and red pepper on them to your taste. I cover them with both.,

Most will call for a gallon of water and a cup of salt. But as the fish are not going to be held for a month. I cut my sugar back.
    After getting the brine ready. pour it in a plastic container. And add fish. Let them soak for around 8 hours.
    Take fish out of the brine. And dry with paper towels. And then allow to air dry they will get a light glaze on them.
    I have a big half circle needle, And with cotton twine. I place the twine in the collar bone of the catfish. Allow about a 3" loop above the fish.
    Then I use Hardwood dowel rods that are 1/4" thick. Mine are cut 17 3/4" long. Place the fish on the rod and hang them in the smoker.

I smoke them at 235 and it take me around 3 hours for the 3/4 lb or better fish. I take mine out when they have that golden brown color to them. No smoke as the smoker gives them all the flavor they need.
    Hope you enjoy them. Each time I smoke a batch, There gone in a heart beat.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Do you normally eat the catfish plain or with other preps?